I know that I just did a post on asparagus risotto, but I couldn't resist doing another post using asparagus. There was an AMAZING sale this past week on asparagus at our local Sprouts Market. I love asparagus, but think of it mostly for special meals. Anyway, Sprouts had asparagus for $.88 per pound. $.88 PER POUND!!! That's practically unheard of! Needless to say, our fridge is packed with asparagus right now 🙂 Of course, I don't want any of it to go bad, so I'm trying to think of different ways to use it all up.
I actually can't remember the last time I had asparagus soup, but I'm told it was one of my favorite foods as a baby. I guess, I've always had good taste 🙂 This was my first time trying to make asparagus soup, and I am very happy with the way it turned out. This recipe is going in my recipe box for sure.
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1 medium potato peeled and diced
6 cups chicken stock
2 lbs. asparagus cut into 2 in. strips
1/2 cup milk
salt to taste
Parmesan cheese to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot.
2. Add chopped celery and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, potato and asparagus and bring to a gentle boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer soup to a blender, and blend until smooth.
6. Return soup to pot and add milk and salt.
7. Top individual servings with parmesan cheese.
This soup was excellent. It was smooth, creamy, and full of asparagus goodness. I loved it, especially with the parmesan on top.
Well, that's 2 pounds down, and about 5 more to go. I think tomorrow I'll try asparagus fries.