The first time I saw spaghetti squash was when I was living in my sorority house in college. One of my friends had cooked one up, and it looked so interesting. When I finally got around to buying and cooking a spaghetti squash myself, I was hooked. What an amazing alternative to pasta! And I love my pasta (I consider myself a little bit of a pasta snob - only fresh made pasta will do.)
Top the spaghetti squash off with a fresh chunky veggie sauce and this whole gluten free thing gets a little easier 🙂
For this sauce, I chopped up some garlic, onion, tomatoes, and yellow and orange bell peppers. I sauted the vegetables in olive oil and then added balsamic vinegar, salt, and thyme. I cooked the sauce long enough for it to turn "saucy" but I wanted the veggies to retain a little bit of crunch.
I had already cooked my spaghetti squash in the oven, so when my sauce was done, I topped the squash with the sauce and a little Parmesan cheese. Delish!
Spaghetti Squash with Chunky Veggie Sauce serves 2
1 medium Spaghetti Squash
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 mini yellow bell peppers (chopped)
2 mini orange bell peppers (chopped)
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried Thyme
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise and place face down in a baking dish. Add about an inch of hot water to the dish and cover with foil. Allow to cook for about 45 minutes or until tender.
2. While the squash is cooking, make the sauce. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
3. Add garlic, onions, tomatoes, and peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar, salt, and thyme and continue to cook until the liquid begins to reduce.
5. Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and remove the seeds using a fork or spoon. Then using a fork (or 2) scrape the squash fibers to loosen them up to resemble spaghetti.
6. Top with the sauce and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Moonlight and Mason Jars
Create It Thursday
Four Seasons Blog Hop
Fabulously Frugal Thursday
Wow It's Wednesday
Weekend Wind Down