Thanks to the creaminess of the Promised Land Dairy Milk, this was one of the best flans that I've had. I also picked up the Promised Land Dairy Reduced Fat 2% milk and the boys are loving it. I'm pretty impressed and can't wait to try some of the other flavors.
To learn more about Promised Land Dairy Milk check out their Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter pages.My great aunt would have loved this flan. Let me know how your's turns out!
Classic Whole Milk Flan
- 2 cups Promised Land Homogenized Milk
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy bottomed pan over high heat, add the 1/4 cup sugar and water.
- Allow to cook undisturbed until caramelized and brown in color (about 5 minutes)
- Divide the caramelized sugar between 4 ramekins.
- Add the remaining sugar, eggs, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk over medium heat just until bubbles start to form - do not boil.
- Add a little bit of the hot milk to the sugar egg mixture while continuously whisking.
- Add the remaining milk while continuing to whisk.
- Divide the milk mixture between the four ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a baking dish and add boiling water for a water bath.
- Bake for roughly 60 minutes or until the flan is set - the centers should be only slightly jiggly.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan and flip onto a serving dish.