This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FarFromOrdinaryMilk #CollectiveBias
I love recipes with simple ingredients. This classic flan only has five ingredients and is out of this world. I remember the first time I had flan. I was 10 years old and my family was visiting my great aunt. She treated us all to dinner and ordered the flan for everyone for dessert. It was magical. Flan has been one of my favorite desserts ever since then, and it always makes me think of her.
Milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and a little water is all it takes to have this deliciousness. Of course it doesn't hurt when you have superior ingredients. There is a local farm that my family likes to go visit and where I buy our eggs. They have a really cute domestic petting zoo, picnic area, and even a little fishing pond. I think the coolest thing about this farm's visiting area is that they have chickens roaming around free. I love that I get to buy and use eggs from happy healthy chickens.
But milk is the main star in this classic flan recipe, so I used Promised Land Dairy Homogenized Milk. My little boys and I drink a lot of milk and we're pretty particular about the taste. Promised Land Dairy Milk comes from Jersey cows - British Isle of Jersey not New Jersey LOL. The milk produced from these cows is rich, creamy, and delicious. Extraordinary flavor comes from extraordinary cows. Plus with growing little boys, I like that Promised Land Dairy Milk is higher in protein and calcium than ordinary milk. And again, I like buying milk from animals that are treated humanely.
Back to the flan.... I already had my eggs, but needed the other ingredients. You know I love to save money. So, I headed to Target to use the Ibotta deal to earn $0.75 cash back with any purchase of any variety of Promised Land Dairy Milk products 32oz. or larger.
Making the flan is pretty easy. First you need to let some sugar and water caramelize in a sauce pot before adding that to your ramekins. Then, to make the custard, you whisk together an egg, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla. Aren't these yolks gorgeous?
To finish the custard off, heat your milk until just hot but not boiling. Then slowly add the hot milk to your egg sugar mix and continually whisk to make sure the egg doesn't start to cook.
Once your custard is all mixed together, divide it between your ramekins. Then place the ramekins in a baking dish and add boiling water to create a water bath. Pop in the oven for roughly an hour or until the flan is set.
Once the flan is done baking, remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let them cool on a wire rack for about 2 hours before sticking them in the refrigerator to chill. I like to let my flan chill over night. Finally, to serve the flan, run a sharp knife around the edge of the flan to loosen it up and then flip it onto a serving dish.
My great aunt would have loved this flan. Let me know how your's turns out!
- 2 cups Promised Land Homogenized Milk
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy bottomed pan over high heat, add the 1/4 cup sugar and water.
- Allow to cook undisturbed until caramelized and brown in color (about 5 minutes)
- Divide the caramelized sugar between 4 ramekins.
- Add the remaining sugar, eggs, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk over medium heat just until bubbles start to form - do not boil.
- Add a little bit of the hot milk to the sugar egg mixture while continuously whisking.
- Add the remaining milk while continuing to whisk.
- Divide the milk mixture between the four ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a baking dish and add boiling water for a water bath.
- Bake for roughly 60 minutes or until the flan is set - the centers should be only slightly jiggly.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan and flip onto a serving dish.
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 2 super fun little boys and a rising country star hubby. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!