For years, our pantry was always fully stocked with a variety of canned soups. I used to enjoy coming home from school and heating up a can of soup on the stove before dinner. Several years ago, my mom and I got really serious about making homemade soups. I think it had a little to do with that episode of Seinfeld with the soup Nazi. Nowadays, there is almost no canned soup to be seen. Anyway, this soup making has turned into something that not only the family looks forward to, but so do many of our family friends. We even have annual soup parties. Although both my mom and I like to make a variety of soups, we both have signatures. Her's is an amazing Beef Burgundy Stew, while mine is this Carrot Ginger Soup.
I originally came across this recipe while reading my collection of Williams Sonoma cookbooks. I love those cookbooks, and even though other cookbooks sometimes catch my eye, I am determined to collect every Williams Sonoma cookbook there is. I love them! The original recipe is so delicious, but over the years, I have tweaked it just a little bit.
This carrot ginger soup is so loved in my house, that it no longer is just for special occasions. I pretty much make it every time I see carrots on sale, which is at least twice a month. This soup also happens to be one of my little brother's favorite meals, so every time he comes home from the Navy I whip up a batch.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 2 pounds carrots chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion and celery. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken stock along with the potato, carrots, and ginger. Bring to a soft boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 25 minutes until carrots and potato are done.
- Put soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir well, and serve.
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!