These chicken burrito bowls are perfect for lunch, dinner, or meal prep!
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a commission at no additional cost to you. See my full disclosure policy to learn more.
The hubby seems to enjoy my cooking. He usually finishes his meal, thanks me, and then says it was pretty good. I must have stepped up my game a little bit this summer though because he has been raving about some of my new recipes. He asked me to make these burgers 3 times in one week. He's loving the ramen dishes I've been coming up with lately. But these burrito bowls I think are his favorite. He even startled me a few times during dinner by bursting out really loud "mmmmm"s and "yum"s.
This is one of those super easy and affordable meals you can whip up in no time. And it's one of those meals you can prepare ahead of time.
My hubby is a full time musician and works at least 6 nights a week. He's also super busy during the day with everything that comes with releasing a new album (get ready to hear him on the radio in the next few months!) I never know when he's going to pop in and be hungry.
I can make these chicken burrito bowls well ahead of time, and all he has to do is put one in the microwave. To do this, I put together the rice, beans, and chicken. Then he can pull out some pico de gallo, sour cream, and cheese from the fridge to top things off.
By the way, the hubby actually gave me the recipe for this pico de gallo and it's amazing!
One day I just didn't have any sour cream when I was making these bowls. But I had some plain Greek yogurt so I used that instead. It was pretty tasty and now I'm using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for everything.
That's it for this chicken burrito bowls recipe! Until next time!
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 14 oz. can of black beans
- 1 large chicken breast cooked and diced
- 1 large tomato cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 large lime
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- desired amount of shredded cheese.
1. Bring the water to a boil in a pan along with the butter. Add the rice and cook for about 20 minutes or until done.
2. Heat the beans.
3. Meanwhile, make the pico de gallo - combine the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Once the rice is done, assemble the bowls. Divide the rice, beans and chicken among 2 bowls. Top with desired amount of pico de gallo, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and shredded cheese.
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!