This homemade chocolate ice cream recipe is the kickoff of my new blog series, Frozen Treat Friday. Every Friday this summer I'll be posting 1 or more yummy frozen treats.
It's amazing how delicious this chocolate ice cream is. It only has 5 ingredients and is pretty easy to make.
Start by adding egg yolks and sugar to a bowl. Use a whisk until the eggs and sugar are well incorporated and light in color
Heat the milk and cream in heavy-bottomed pan until just about to boil. Add the chocolate chips and stir the mixture together. Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Slowly pour about half of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk continuously so the egg yolks don't start cooking. Then add the mixture back to the pan and continue cooking over medium heat. The ice cream mixture needs to cook until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Pour the ice cream mix into a clean bowl and allow to sit until it reaches room temperature. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
Add the cold ice cream mix to an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
I'm totally in love.
Make sure to check out my recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream as well.
Chocolate Ice Cream
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Heat milk and 1 cup of cream in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat.
2. Bring milk mixture to a low boil, then add the chocolate chips.
3. Remove from heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together until light and frothy.
5. Slowly pour half of milf mixture into egg mixture while whisking continuously.
6. Return egg/milk mixture to pan and continue cooking over medium heat.
7. Cook ice cream mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to cover the back of the spoon.
8. Transfer mix to a clean bowl, and stir in remaining cream. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and allow to cool to room temperature.
9. Refrigerate 6-8 hours or over night.
10. Place mixture into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer.
11. Transfer ice cream to an air tight plastic container and freeze for a least 2 hours.
12. Stuff your face with yummy ice cream!
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys and a rising country star hubby. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!