A deconstructed California roll sushi bowl recipe is the way to go!
*This post contains affiliate links and links to my independent Pampered Chef consultant website for your convenience. If you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a commission at no additional cost to you. See my full disclosure policy to learn more.
This deconstructed sushi bowl has everything I love about a California roll - crunchy carrot and cumber, creamy avocado, seasoned sushi rice, sesame seeds, and of course Nori (dried seaweed.) Top all that off with a generous heap of wasabi mixed in with soy sauce and a side of ginger. I could not be happier.
I had never made a deconstructed sushi bowl before this, but it is now one of my favorite things! I have always loved sushi. One of my earliest memories is being 4 years old and eating sushi with my Dad when we lived in Hawaii. I enjoy making sushi rolls at home, but like I said, I just didn't feel like going through the effort.
I must admit, preparing the veggies for a deconstructed sushi bowl isn't exactly effortless. If you don't have great knife skills, cutting up your veggies might take up some serious time. For quick and easy prep of julienned carrots and cucumbers, I'm obsessed with both the Pampered Chef 3 Piece Peeler Set and the Rapid-Prep Mandoline.
Once the rice is done, and your veggies are prepped, throwing everything together is a snap.
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 2 carrot
- 2 sheets Nori
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Make the sushi rice: Combine sushi rice and water and cook according to package directions. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small saucepan, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt over medium heat. Allow sugar and salt to dissolve and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- While rice and vinegar mixture are cooling, prepare vegetables. Julienne the cucumber, carrot, and nori into very thin strips. Slice the avocado.
- Fold about half of the vinegar mixture into the rice and mix well. Add more vinegar mixture depending on taste.
- To assemble the bowls, start with the prepared sushi rice and top with prepared vegetables, and finish with a sprinkle of sesame seed.
- Top with soy sauce with or without wasabi mixed in. Serve with a side ginger.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!