Over the weekend, I took the Free Pizza Making Class on Craftsy, and have been dying for some really good pizza since. According to the class, you should let your dough rise in the refrigerator over night. I'm planning on making authentic pizza dough from the class over the weekend, but I wanted some instant pizza satisfaction. Margherita pizza quesadillas totally take care of the craving, and they are ready in about 5 minutes!
First, I started by heating a large skillet and added one of my tomato basil tortillas. I then added just enough pizza sauce to cover the tortilla.
Next came my toppings. I spread out a little low moisture mozzarella cheese and I added a thinly sliced up tomato and some fresh basil.
I added a little more cheese, and then finished by topping off with another tortilla. Since the cheese was already melting, I used a large spatula to flip the quesadilla over and cooked for about another 45 seconds. After I removed the quesadilla from the skillet, I used a pizza cutter to make 6 equal slices. What a great lunch!
Literally 5 minutes to make this margherita pizza quesadilla including slicing the tomatoes and basil. By the way, I tried making it again with fresh mozzarella, and the moisture made the tortilla a little soggy. I recommend sticking with a shredded low moisture mozzarella.
Anyway, maybe it was because I had excellent quality ingredients (I ate one of the those tomatoes just like an apple), but margherita pizza quesadillas are marvelous!
- 2 12 inch tomato basil tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoons of pizza sauce
- 1/2 tomato thinly sliced
- 2-3 leaves of fresh basil thinly slices
- ~6 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tortilla and quickly spread with the pizza sauce.
- Top with cheese, tomato slices, and basil.
- Allow to melt slightly and add second tortilla.
- Flip quesadilla to allow even cooking.
- Remove from skillet, slice and enjoy!
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!