One of my favorite feelings is when my husband's face lights up when he sees what's for dinner. I thought he didn't especially like minestrone soup, but I guess I was wrong!
Unfortunately, we were out of Parmesan cheese. I think that would have been the only thing that would have made the soup better.
The nice thing about making homemade soup is that you can add whatever ingredients you want. Beans would make a nice addition, as would peas or corn. The recipe I have at the bottom of this post is exactly how I made this soup, but feel free to substitute!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 small potatoes cubed
- 5 medium carrots sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis sliced
- 15- 20 cherry tomatoes halved (or 1 large tomato chopped)
- 6 cups water
- 3 (2 serving) cubes of tomato bouillon
- 1 cup dried small pasta
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter along with olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the celery and onion and allow to sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bouillon cubes, followed by the remaining veggies. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and seasoning and allow to simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!