You're going to love this pickled rainbow carrot recipe!
After figuring out that I was going to make pickles, I went to the store to buy some canning equipment, and spent a couple of days researching how to make rainbow carrot pickles.
I had no idea that canning was so complicated and precise! I must admit that I got a little intimidated with the idea of actually canning carrots. So, I decided to go with a quick pickle recipe and the refrigerator method for now (even though I'm determined to do some canning in the very near future.)
Here is a picture of the rainbow carrots I used for the pickles.
I washed and peeled the carrots, then washed them again.
Here is what the inside of the purple rainbow carrots looks like.
I cut each carrot so that they would each be the same length - and I wanted them to be long enough to go in my quart sized Ball jars. I quartered each one lengthwise. Then it was time to boil the carrots for 3 minutes.
Once 3 minutes were up, I rinsed the carrots under water.
I had already sterilized the jars at this point, so they were ready for the ingredients. I added 2 tablespoons of pickling spice to each jar.
Then it was time for the rainbow carrots.
Lastly, I added my pickling liquid. I combined 4 cups of water, 2 cups of white wine vinegar (distilled vinegar is fine too), 2 teaspoons of salt, and 6 teaspoons of sugar, and brought the mixture to a boil. I then poured the liquid into the jars using a measuring cup with a spout.
I put the lids on the jars and allowed them to COOL COMPLETELY before placing them in the refrigerator.
Like I said, I spent a few days researching how to do this. After reading several articles and posts, I see that the pickles are good in the refrigerator anywhere from 10 days to 3 months! Hopefully you'll be like my family and love the rainbow carrot pickles so much, that they'll be gone before you need to worry about spoilage.
- 2 quart sized jars
- 2 pounds of rainbow carrots (or regular carrots)
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar (or distilled vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- Wash, peel, rewash, and quarter the carrots.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Boil the carrots for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the carrots under cold water.
- Add pickling spice and cooled carrots to sterilized jars.
- Bring water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil.
- Pour pickling liquid into each jar, filling until there is about 1/2 inch of space left in the jar.
- Cover the jars and allow to COOL COMPLETELY on the counter before placing in the refrigerator.
- Best enjoyed after 48 hours.
Hi, I’m Jordan – a work at home mom with 3 super fun little boys. I love entertaining guests and want to help you make entertaining easy!